Monday, March 18, 2013

MM Dix: la télévision

TV. We did without it for a year when we were in Houston and did just fine. But TV is much different here in France!


First of all, it is waaaaay cheaper to get cable here than in the US. And I do mean way with that many a's. :) So we signed up and added the anglophone package, which was really just for ESPN for Nick. Although, we do get E! in English so I get more than my fill of the Kardashians. (No wonder Europeans have such negative views of Americans when that's one of the only shows that plays here!) Sometimes I even watch a kids show or the news in French just to practice my French.

But sometimes you just miss some American TV, you know like the Bachelor (although the French have their own version and many other dating shows, and I admit, I watch them too!)

So what's a girl to do with no Bachelor, Real housewives, and other trashy shows? Easy, you might say, log on to abc.com? Nope! Hulu? Nope! Netflix? Nope! None of those sites work outside of the United States! Ok, so at this point I probably should start going to museums everyday or do something to better myself, right? Ummm...yeah.... not the case.

Instead I beg my husband for only the best technology invention ever....the VPN. For a small fee each month (less than 5 bucks) you can log on to the Internet and get an IP address in the US. This means abc.com, Hulu, and Netflix now all work! And even better?! I can choose where I want my computer to be "located". That means those of you in the US right now can only watch season 1 of Downton Abbey on Netflix, but when I log on to the UK connection I can watch all 3 seasons!
Netflix set -up!  My laptop is the "little computer" that could!
We'll see if it lasts the 3 years here!
Oh, and remember how I begged Nick for it? He's now just as obsessed as I am! Well, maybe just with different shows! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment