Friday, October 3, 2014

Vélib' Vendredi: My 'Hood, the 15th

This week's ride took me through the lovely 15th arrondisement, also known as my neighborhood. We technically live in the 15th, but we're on the far edge of it, and while I often wander farther into the 15th for errands and shopping, I haven't thoroughly explored it like I should.

The 15th doesn't often get glowing reviews by tourists and ex-pats, and although I may be a bit biased, I think this is a mistake. I feel it's a neighborhood that gives you a sense of "true" Paris. This week I read an article by the Hip Paris Blog about the 15th, and it made me so happy to see that other people realize that the 15th shouldn't be glanced over. Apparently, 10% of Parisians live in this neighborhood, which explains why it is almost eerily quiet during the week and bustling on the weekends. In just my bike ride and walk today, I had at least five different French people come up to me and strike up a conversation {and not about directions to la Tour Eiffel, which is my normal street interaction}. Just to be clear, I haven't ever really had the rude experiences with Parisians that we so often hear about in America, but it's true, they tend to keep to themselves and not overtly friendly. But there's something about the 15th, people are generally more open and more friendly than people I've run into in other neighborhoods. {Perhaps it's the fact they never have to deal with annoying tourists...} People were making jokes, and I even had one lady who asked if it was okay for her to cross the street because she saw me taking photos and didn't want to get in the way. Oh la la, such a different side of Paris! :)
And yes, there are definitely some "modern" errr, I mean ugly 1970s apartments in this area, but there is a ton of typical beautiful Parisian architecture as well.
Some of my favorite places in the 15th are the two huge parks, Parc Georges-Brassens and Parc Andre-Citroen. Beautiful green spaces, perfect for running, walking, or just relaxing on the grass with a book in hand, which is my preferred method of enjoyment!
Georges-Brassens
Andre-Citroen
I mentioned a few weeks ago the High Line Park on the east side of the city. The old train line actually encircled the entire city, and another section of it was opened as a park last year. That part {almost} connects Parc Georges-Brassens to Parc Andre-Citroen. A fun away to get between the two, even if it is only 1.5km long. I hope someday they'll connect all of these parks to make one big ring around the city! For now, I'm happy to enjoy a beautiful day, snapping pictures.
There are tons of bakeries, markets, and shops everywhere in the 15th since so many Parisians live here. My favorite is Aux Merveilleux de Fred. There's only a handful of these in the entire city, and I love that there's one just a short walk down the road! What is it, you might ask? Creme and meringue goodness...a must try!
And no post of the 15th can go without mentioning la Tour Eiffel. All throughout the 15th, you can get little glimpses of her, including my two all-time favorite views: on our side road and from the top of Tour Montparnasse. Yes, techincally Tour Montparnasse is still in the 15th. :)  Photo credit to our dear friend, Lindsey, of Pictours Paris, for the shot on our side road. {Check her out if you're coming to Paris!}

No comments:

Post a Comment